PDA

View Full Version : LE-Pad Leg Sleeve

Debbie Goodwin
Apr 20, 2005, 03:41 PM
I just want to say that I am enjoying reading about people with the same problem that I have.
I'm glad that I'm not alone. I have another question: Would I be able to get the leg sleeve at a surgical supply store? I have a store nearby. Or would I have to get this through a doctor?

Emily P. Bees
Apr 20, 2005, 04:17 PM
I can’t really speak to the sleeve issue – because my lymphedema is not in a limb – so I have no experience with those. I do know that some surgical/medical supply places sell lymphedema garments – but you really need to work with an experienced fitter.

It would probably be best to rely on a lymphedema therapist to direct you to the appropriate source for these garments. Also, you might be able to get the cost covered by insurance if it were ordered by a medical professional.

I did manage to get a new pad recently without a medical order. When I got mine originally I had an order from my therapist. However, nothing on the market at that time was exactly right. I’ve altered pads, and made my own, but none have been just perfect. Recently a friend sent me a link to what looked like the perfect pad. I carried on an e-mail correspondence with the company about my experiments and how good their product looked to me. They agreed to sell it to me directly. It IS the best thing yet too! BUT I have to say that without several months’ experience fussing around with this, I never would have known what I needed to order.

Ann
Apr 20, 2005, 04:50 PM
Fitting is so important with lymphedema garments that it is best to get one through your therapist if possible. Also, since there are several types, your therapist should be able to tell you which kind will work best.

If this is not a possibility, most of the companies that sell these garments have web sites and some will help you get your measurements right so you can order online.

Good luck, Ann