LymphNotes.com  

Go Back   Lymph Notes Forums > Lymphedema Information > Living With Lymphedema

Living With Lymphedema Acupuncture, Aromatherapy, Fatigue Happens, Reiki, Scuba Diving, Stress and Lymphedema, plus Travel Tips. View articles.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Feb 22, 2005, 05:39 PM

the thyroid connection?

I'm still quite new to the conversation of lymphedema, and am still reading what little I can get my hands on.
Every once in a while I see a reference to Thyroid and Lymphedema. Once, someone said their LE maybe started with Thyroid disfunction??
Somewhere else I read that certain treatments might be contra-indicated by the presence of Thyroid disfunction?

I have secondary pelvic lymphedema due to radiation for anal canal cancer about 5 years ago. Probably added to by abdominal surgery 25 years ago for removal of an ovary w/grapefruit size cyst, and another ab. surgery just before diagnosis of the cancer, to remove my gall bladder (complicated by infection).

I've had two episodes of cellulitis in the pelvic bowl, neither of which caught any of the doctors' attention beyond the immediate crisis. (It's fairly unbeleivable to me that even the cancer docs never mentioned the possiblity, and the preventative measures!)

Anyway, almost immediately upon completion of the 8 weeks of radiation that was treatment for my cancer, I realized that my thyroid had quit working, and have recently seemed to find a decent balance of meds for it --- but what is this cryptic connection?
Old Apr 2, 2005, 12:50 PM

Been asking the same question

I don't have your answer, but you are not alone. My thyroid quite literally blew a hole in itself during a bad pregnancy and that was the start of the first symptoms of my lymphedema. I went home from the hospital weighing more than when I went in to deliver the baby...but the doctor said the nurses probably wrote it down wrong. I am n ow monitoring my body temperature and have found that I have a pretty consistent low body temp. I am working with some folks who do not properly absorb the synthetic synthroid that I have been on for years. I am excited with the results so far (more energy)....you can search under "Wilson's Thyroid" to get more info. Hang in there... the pink ribbon campaign is now donating 10 percent of profits to lymphedema research...we may get more answers now. Prayers to you and your family. Lynne
Old Apr 2, 2005, 02:05 PM

Thanks for your reply, Lynne.
I think you are right, in that until someone finds Lymphedema "profitable" to study, it will probably continue to remain obscure. I am continually blown away by the volume of health care practitioners (traditional and non) who don't have a clue. Even if they have heard of it- they have no idea how extensive are the ramifications, nor the variance of complications.
I'm learning a lot via the web, with some obvious filtering. But I still have some major questions. And living in rural Washington leaves me 100 miles from the nearest therapist. It's been tough getting my questions answered, and getting help with garments, etc. ... Especially in regard to genital/abdominal swelling.

thanks for taking time.
mary
Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:00 AM

Talking i have thyroid too

hi i do have thryoid which i found out last march!!! i did have lymphedema for 13 year now i learned i have thryoid problem i wasnt sure if it is connect to this lymphedema now im surprised you have one and you suspect it is possible connect to this lymphedema are you certain it is really possible connect to this did doctor suspect it was connect to it i really want to know if there is possible to be repair thryoid same time lymphedema ??? i hope it does lol pls let me know what ya think
Old Nov 14, 2006, 06:55 AM

Thyroid

It is interesting that I came across this thread because I have Lymphedema in both legs and have recently found out my Thyroid is also out of whack. I have started taking an herb called Thymus Plus and have also had a prescription Thyroid medication from a doctor. I have been very lazy in taking these but maybe there is more to it than I thought. I am surprised to hear that so many people seem to have Lymphedema AND Thyroid problems.