LymphNotes.com  

Go Back   Lymph Notes Forums > Lymphedema Information > Lymphedema and Other Conditions

Lymphedema and Other Conditions Information on lymphedema and other medical conditions.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 25, 2005, 08:22 PM

Lymphedema and peripheral neuropathy

I was just wondering if they can treat this condition when you have peripheral neuropathy
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:45 AM

Hello Wyvernlady,

When peripheral neuropathy and lymphedema are both present it is possible to treat the lymphedema; however, treatment must be modified to accommodate the patient's pain and inability to feel abnormal pressure against the tissues.
Bandages and compression garments must be placed with great care to present rubbing or excessive pressure. It is also necessary to examine the skin frequently to detect any signs of injury or infection.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 02:17 PM

My therapist wrapped my legs so tight I had to take the bandages off because it was cutting the circulation off in my feet. When they were removed, I had bruises all over my legs and feet. How can I avoid this happening again? How and where can I learn to do it myself?

Old Apr 26, 2005, 04:42 PM

Are you seeing a certified lymphatic therapist that is familiar with your other diagnosis. where do you live?
Old Apr 26, 2005, 05:32 PM

Peripheral neuropathy and Lymphedema

I live in Memphis, Tn and the one and only therapist I had said she was licensed in Lymphedema therapy but on trying this therapy, I discovered she had only taken a class in it. How do I go about finding another therapist?

Thanks,
Wyvernlady
Old Apr 27, 2005, 05:12 AM
Lymph Notes Team

Finding a Qualified Therapist

To find a qualified therapist you need to be an informed consumer. Here are a couple of suggestions.

Read the articles about LANA and "How to Find a Therapist." By doing this, you'll know what questions to ask.

Look in the Lymph Notes Resource Directory (home page). We are in the process of creating a list of facilities that we know provide lymphedema treatment.

Contact me, by e-mail (ann@lymphnotes.com) and be sure to mention your city and state. We are generating a list of facilities we think offer lymphedema treatment. I'll e-mail you a copy of the list for your area.

Contact your local hospitals and rehabilitation centers. Ask for the occupational and/or physical therapy department. This is where lymphedema treatment is most likely to be provided.

When you find a facility, ask about the training of their therapists.

Good lucks, Ann

P.S. We welcome contacts from facilities that want to be added to the Lymph Notes Resource list.