LymphNotes.com  

Go Back   Lymph Notes Forums > Lymphedema Information > How Lymphedema is Treated

How Lymphedema is Treated Lymphedema Treatment Methods, Compression Techniques, Treatment of Breast and Chest Lymphedema, plus What is an Intensive? View articles.

Old Jul 27, 2005, 06:03 PM

genital lymphedema

I have recently started treating a man with genital lymphedema, early stage 2. He had inguinal nodes removed on both sides and is partially castrated. He swells as the day goes on(size of cantalope) and resolves at night. His legs are not yet affected.
He has been cancer free for more than a year. I brought up the subject of bandaging, he is not happy with the compression garment he has. A year ago his surgeon told him bandaging would be bad, why I don't know, his wife didn't know. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA Karen
Old Jul 28, 2005, 12:37 PM

Hi Karen,

What about trying to wear a jockstrap. It gives some support without being too tight. Start with a size that fits snug and see if over a period of time your patient can go down in size.

Good luck, Alma
Old Jul 30, 2005, 07:34 PM

Thanks he's been there... done that and it didn't work. Today I saw the compression garment (after 6 fittings) he's given up wearing and suggested he try bike shorts over them...it's trial and error and eventually we will figure it out. Any suggestion about an exercise program. Right now he's stuck in his recliner.
TIA Karen
Old Aug 4, 2005, 12:56 PM
Lymph Notes Team

More suggestions

I found an excellent source of suggestions for treating genital lymphedema. This is the Hormone Refractory Prostate Cancer web site (http://www.hrpca.org/lymphedema.htm), which is an organization for those with prostate cancer. The following suggestions are a direct quotation from their section on lymphedema.
(1) “Wear a pair of bicycle shorts with an extra pad in the crotch, pulled up right against the crotch/scrotum/penis. This may help to control the genital edema. Remember, that it takes a while for the fluid to be moved elsewhere and don't wear the bicycle shorts all the time - take a day off. The suggestion for using bicycle shorts in this way, comes from a physical therapist specializing in lymphedema.
(2) “OR, try some other combinations of compressive boxer shorts and an athletic supporter. Wear the skin tight boxer shorts(not too tight, however) and the athletic supporter over that.
(3) “At some point in the future, a custom designed genital lymphedema garment may become available (your physical therapist may have knowledge of this) from Solaris.”

Ann