LymphNotes.com  

Go Back   Lymph Notes Forums > Lymphedema Information > Living With Lymphedema

Living With Lymphedema Acupuncture, Aromatherapy, Fatigue Happens, Reiki, Scuba Diving, Stress and Lymphedema, plus Travel Tips. View articles.

Old May 10, 2006, 05:14 PM

Question Horse Chestnut

I have read alot about this herb, but it only seems for use of leg lymphedema.............does it help with arm, hand and fingers? I have had lymphedema for over 5 yrs........ever since initial find, I have been ok with self massage learned in clinic while treatment of lymphedema was was undergoing.....I wear compression sleeve and glove all day, massage in evening, and either wrap or wear my "oven mitt", now after all this time hand and pointer finger have swollen and I can not seem to reduce the fluid.....need help......thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Ruthanne
Old May 12, 2006, 08:28 PM

horse chestnut

I have had R leg edema mostly but it does go into my R arm, hand and abdomen. I take horse chest and have for 2 years. I did try and stop it to see if it really works and now I am a believer that it helps. I think all you can do is try it. But it does take a while to see the results so don't give up on it so quickly. I get the suppliment from Swanson vitamins on line and it is inexpensive. Good luck! natalie
Old May 13, 2006, 09:27 AM

Smile thanks

I found some at a GNC store............300mg...20%Aescin........saying take 1 to 4 daily..........does that sound right?thanks for helping.Ruthanne
Old May 13, 2006, 07:35 PM

chestnut

Just be carefull not to take too much it will make you sick. That happened to me! So modify if you need too. Good luck let me know how you do? natalie
Old Nov 14, 2006, 07:53 AM

Horse Chestnut

I am soooo glad I read this thread because I have been told to start taking this but have been very lazy in starting. It helps to hear from someone dealing with Lymphedema that it works. I will start using it today and hopefully stick with it!
Old Dec 22, 2007, 03:35 AM

link to research?

If anyone has a link to this research I'd like to take a look at it. Thanks all!
Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:20 AM
Lymph Notes Team

Horse Chestnut online

There have been questions about the use of horse chestnut in the treatment of lymphedema. Better yet, there are requests for links -- so you can make you own informed decision.

The following are the best sites we found. Be aware that all of these websites discussed horse chestnut to treat circulatory problems suchs as chronic venous insufficiency. None mentioned lymphedema.
http://www.mayoclinic.com. This is the Mayo Clinic website, which is highly rated for accuracy. Go to the site and search on horse chestnut.
http://www.mskcc.org. This is the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Center website. Click on "Herbs" (left column) and then search under H. An important piece of information included here is the following statement, "Horse Chestnut seed is classified by the FDA as an unsafe herb because many of the constituents are considered toxic."

Good luck in finding the information you need that will enable you to make your own decision.

Ann
Old Dec 23, 2007, 11:38 PM

horse chestnut...

not sure the word toxic fills me with a strong desire to try this. But will investigate all the same. Thanks for the links!
Old Sep 28, 2008, 02:16 PM

So are any of you taking the horse chestnut for lymphedema?
Old Oct 25, 2008, 08:04 AM

Re: horse chestnut...

Quote:
Originally posted by nancycels
not sure the word toxic fills me with a strong desire to try this. But will investigate all the same. Thanks for the links!
Same here!!! There is enough evidence that I've seen to not take this!!!
Old Nov 11, 2008, 08:45 PM

Horse Chestnut

Horse chestnut is listed as toxic. I tried it a few years back in desperation to reduce leg swelling. Both legs immedialty swelled up: my doctor advised me not to take again.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 07:44 PM

Horse chestnut

I have been taking it since I was diagnosed with primary lymphedma last year in my lower leg. I think it helps and seems to keep my disease mild. Good Luck!!!