LymphNotes.com  

Go Back   Lymph Notes Forums > Lymphedema Information > Lymphedema Emergencies & Complications

Lymphedema Emergencies & Complications Infections Related to Lymphedema, Recognizing a Lymphedema Related Emergency, plus First Aid and Lymphedema. View articles.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Jan 31, 2007, 03:59 PM

rash

Hi:
I developed a weird rash on my leg (secondary LE). It is little red dots spaced out a little from each other. It started on the thigh and after a week is also on my calf and near the ankle. I don't know if this is from the compression stockings or what. I was cleaning them every 3 days but now am doing it daily. Any suggestions on how to treat this. I talked to my pharmacist who said if I use an antibacterial cream I could develop a fungus infection which is worse to deal with. He suggested hydrocortisone. Has anyone had this kind of rash or used cortisone to take care of skin problems? Thanks Alan
Old Feb 3, 2007, 04:35 AM

Hi Alan,

I have no idea what is causing your rash -- but if it were my leg I'd check with my doctor just to be sure that it is not some form of cellulitis.

I hope that by the time you get this message, the rash will be gone and you'll be feeling good again.

Greg
Old Feb 3, 2007, 09:20 AM

Thanks Greg:
What a strange trip it's been! I got secondary lymphedema after surgery to remove a mesh from a past hernia operation and replace it with another. I also had thigh pain after surgery; so had the prerequisite tests done to rule out a clot and went for lymph treatment. I decided to see where it was blocked and asked for a lymphoscintigraphy and to my delight and gratitude the test showed that I had a normal flow and the pitting is gone! I don't know what is causing the rash but can handle it much better now. Got a cortisone script from MD. Thanks for your response. Alan
Old Feb 19, 2007, 05:32 AM

Rash too

Hi! I'm new to this website. I have lymphedema in both of my legs but I haven't had any success with treatment. My physician just keeps prescribing fluid pills which don't help at all. Anyway, a few months ago I got a horrible bumpy rash all over one of my thighs and it was so prickly and painful. I never considered that it could be lymphedema related. Although I have had this condition for 12 years, all I've heard from anyone is that it's not cureable. No one ever gave me hope for treatment, but I'm learning so much and I hope to find a better way to live with my condition. I hope you feel much better soon.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 06:15 AM

Lymphedema is a Treatable Condition

I really get bummed out when I read about yet another person with lymphedema who is getting bad information from their MD.

The lymphedema won't go away; however, with treatment it can be controlled. You need to find a lymphedema therapist to treat you and teach you how to help yourself.

You also probably need to get off those diuretics. They are good for treating high blood pressure do NOT help with lymphedema. But, be sure to check with you doc before stopping taking them.

I hope you find the information and help you need.

Greg
Old Feb 19, 2007, 06:28 AM

Thanks for the advice

Thank you for the advice. I am no longer taking the fluid pills, as they weren't helping. I have just moved to the Middle Tennessee area from Mississippi, and I need to find a new doctor here. We are close to Nashville, so I hope with all the outstanding medical facilities there, I'll be able to find some help from medical staff with better knowledge of my condition. I understand that treatment can be costly. My husband and I are self employed and uninsured. I was wondering if you might give me a better idea of how much massage treatments can cost.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 05:38 AM

rash . . .

Almost every time I get cellulitis in my legs - my leg also develops this painful red rash ontop of it . . . I am unsure why - but I have just come to expect it and my Doctor gives me 'Doxycycline Hyclate' that i am supposed to take ever day - however I just take when I start on an antibiotic regiment when my leg gets a bout of cellulitus - it seems to help a lot though the rash isn't completely prevented.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 05:42 AM

Therapy Session Costs

I was able to find a Therapist here that has her own massage clinic - she has had to temporarily close for a while - but her sessions ranged from $60 - $100.

I was going to a Hospital for Therapy - that was horribly expensive (though I do have insurance - it only covers a tiny portion)

They have a list of Therapist - and Clinics here on this web site (which is how I found mine) that are located in your area - you can look up by state.

Hope you can find one that you like and you are able to manage.

~ Torri