LymphNotes.com  

Go Back   Lymph Notes Forums > Lymphedema Information > Self-Care for Lymphedema

Self-Care for Lymphedema Eat Drink and Be Healthy, Exercise, Aquatic Therapy, Journaling: Writing Your Way to Better Health, Preventive Foot Care, Self-Massage, plus Skin Care and Lymphedema. View articles.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 22, 2008, 06:07 AM

rebounders

Trying to get information to make a decision about rebounders[mini trampolines] Has anyone used them? I have secondary Lymphedema mainly in my right upper leg and belly. Need to get back to exercising.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 04:58 PM

Yes,
I have used a rebounder and found that it didn't help that much. Your calfs will get a good work-out. I have secondary LE in my left leg and use a combinations of therapies for the edema. Recently, I discovered that Almond Oil helps my leg tremenduously. What an amazing difference. My leg feels much softer and flexible when I use the oil. I apply it twice a day. Also, I do a lot of active isolated strengthening (AIS) stretches. I try to stay as active as possible.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 07:45 PM

Hi,
I also deal with secondary lymphedema from a jaw surgery. I had tried rebonding on the recommendation of my massage therapist. In my case I found that it did help a "bit".When I first began to rebound, I initially noticed that the areas in my face that is typically puffy became even more swollen, but that the swelling had moved downward from where it typically usually is on my face.

I tried doing some light drainage massage on my neck after that and then tried the rebounding to see if that would help the fluid to move better, and it actually did! So based on my experience, I would recommend trying to pre-massage the swollen area, to get the lymph moving, and to clear the channels where the fluid drains, and see if that works.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:27 PM

I rebound on a minitrampoline every day, and when I first started I sure noticed a difference. My lower leg was rockhard before, but after starting rebounding it got much softer and wobbly like the "good" leg. Perhaps it was wishfull thinking, but it seemed the leg also got a tiny bit smaller.
For the first long while I jumped two minutes every hour when home, as I read in an e-book I got that that was the best, but now I am testing another approach, working myself up to a couple of longer sessions of perhaps 15 minutes per day. I work myself up very gradually, at present I am at almost five minutes.
It is my strong belief that rebounding keeps my LE down, exercising the lymphfluid, making sure it does not get "stuck" and transforms into fatty tissue, which is my greatest fear.
I recommend you give it a try - let us know how you go, please. You don't have to jump very high, in fact just bouncing gently will do the trick.

My blog about living with Lymphedema: LymphedemaGirl
Old Aug 11, 2012, 05:22 AM

Question question about rebounders

I have primary lymphedema in my legs:but mainly & seriously in my right one,from knee down. I've thought about purchasing a rebounder,to try to help my condition. My question:I live in the top floor of a 3 story apartment building. 240 pounds,jumping on even a mini trampoline,top floor of apartment building? I've never seen this addressed,is it somehow miraculously not noisy to anyone below you, or, is it as I fear it would be?
Old Aug 11, 2012, 06:22 AM
Lymph Notes Team

Rebounders are no longer in style

With ongoing research, recommendations for self-care change. The use of rebounders is one of these those recommendations. Studies have shown that the use of rebounders put you at risk of falling off and seriously injurying yourself.

Currently, and apparently very successfully, dietary changes are recommended. Another recommendation are water exercises. These provide the movement of lymph with a minimum of risk of injurying yourself.

Keep Trying, you can do better.

Ann, from Lymph Notes
Old Aug 11, 2012, 06:46 AM

I too live on the third floor. I have a little blanket under my rebounder so it really doesn't make much noise.
About the risk of falling off, there is a risk to everything and personally I don't think this should be a reason to not rebound if rebounding helps. One can hold on to something/someone or just bounce very gently without "airtime". Studies show that even sitting on the egde of a trampoline with someone else jumping is beneficial in exercising the lymph fluid.

My blog about living with Lymphedema: LymphedemaGirl