LymphNotes.com  

Go Back   Lymph Notes Forums > Lymphedema Information > Living With Lymphedema

Living With Lymphedema Acupuncture, Aromatherapy, Fatigue Happens, Reiki, Scuba Diving, Stress and Lymphedema, plus Travel Tips. View articles.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 11, 2008, 07:47 PM

Jeans

It really pained me when I had to give my jeans to Goodwill because my left leg had grown too large to fit into them. I'm sure that for each of us, there is some moment of realization and adjustment that hits especially hard, and this was one of mine. I'm tall and not overweight, and I looked pretty good in tight jeans before I developed lymphedema. Now I'm feeling a little happier because I discovered L.L. Bean's wide leg jeans. They fit well when I'm wearing a compression stocking and on good days, I can get them on over my bandage too. So, I wanted to share this "fashion tip!"

Sue
Old Nov 12, 2008, 04:59 AM

Hi Sue,

I think we all know that feeling about favorite clothes that don't fit because of lymphedema swelling.

I was "surfing" this morning and revisited the Lymphedivas website. http://www.lymphedivas.com Under the heading of FAQs there is an announcement about lower extremity garments. You might want to check it out to see
"what's new."

I'm glad you've found one solution -- and it would be nice to have even more good answers.

Linda
Old Nov 12, 2008, 05:35 AM

Lymphedivas merchandise looks wonderful - for women with swelling in their arm(s). Mine's in my leg, and they don't seem to sell any legwear

Sue
Old Dec 10, 2008, 09:20 PM

Wink Yes you can

Hi, I have Lyphedema in both legs and I can wear jeans, as anyone can. I woke up one morning thinking of how tried I am of wearing swear pants, and I felt like a rock hit me in the head, Tailor. So that day I went and bought 4 pair of jeans. My Right leg is worse then my left, so I went up in sizes just for them to fit my right leg. The next day I took them to a TAILOR and he took in the left leg, waist and lengh. When I put them on and they fitted me and it's 9 months since I wore jeans I cried like a baby. I felt a little normal. I now where jeans. So go shopping and take them to the TAILOR

Kathy
Old Jan 2, 2009, 07:29 AM

Jeans

Another tip-having had lymphedema for 28 years-& again, only in the left leg,but it's 30 lbs heavier than the right- I bought a bigger size jean & took it to a tailor. For $9.00, she altered the right leg & waist. It' just one way to feel comfortable in jeans without the snug feeling on the 'bad' leg.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 10:40 AM

I agree - i have had mine altered - a good seamstress is irreplaceable.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 02:48 PM

Talking "good steamstress

The word "GOOD" is the key, when I first went to this tailor with 2 pairs of new jeans ( tags still on) she pinned the right leg & waist & everything was great-UNTIL I went to pick them up & they had altered BOTH legs! I questioned WHY would I buy a pair of pants 2 sizes bigger, only to have them totally altered ?! She realized the mistake, laughed & then she had to purchase 2 new pair of jeans for me.
Now they know me & only have a particular person work on my pants
Old Jan 14, 2009, 05:29 AM

for Mimito2

Oh what an experience. So far I have not had any bad run ins. Suppose I keep happening upon 'good' seamstresses. Good to know I have a little good luck coming in somewhere!

I am glad that it all worked out.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 09:11 PM

I wonder if a company makes lymphedema garments, I had to get shoes almost 3 sizes higher to fit and my pants will have to be bigger, but my good leg is normal where my bad leg is twice as big.??
Jim
Old Jun 5, 2009, 03:58 AM

Adapting

It is tough having to deal with legs and feet that are two different sizes.

About feet, there are some stores that sell shoes "by the each" so you can get two different sizes. You might explore that.

As far as the jeans are concerned, the suggestion on this thread about finding a tailor is a good one. So too are Stretchy garments, such as sweat pants, work well for me for being around the house. I also discovered that I feel better when I'm going out if I'm wearing pants that fit better.

I don't know of anyone who makes pants to accommodate leg lymphedema but I have seen some websites that sell clothing for people in wheelchairs and there might be something helpful there.

Roger
Old Jun 5, 2009, 05:10 AM

shoes

oh yes - I am having this problem right now . . . I fell in love with these shoes - I had to end up buying two pair just so I could have a matching pair that fit.

Where are this wonderful stores that only sell one shoe at a time? I am all for that - please point me in that direction!!! :-)

~ Torri
Old Jun 5, 2009, 09:14 AM

Nordstrum

I understand that this chain sells shoes one at a time -- but they are probably pricey.

R.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 09:17 AM

Oh nice! Thank you. Sometiems it may be cheaper than buying two pairs of shoes . . .
Old Aug 5, 2009, 12:02 AM

jeans/pants

Have LE lymphedema...end up buying palazzo pants since i have it in both of my legs..so far this is my only solution. Have significant swelling around my lower leg and behind my knees...anyone have a solution for the swelling behind yr knees? I use farrow wraps but it's still not working well... go for PT periodically but it still swells right back up. thanks all.