LymphNotes.com  

Go Back   Lymph Notes Forums > Lymphedema Information > Seeking Lymphedema Treatment

Seeking Lymphedema Treatment Finding a Lymphedema Therapist or Treatment Center, Questions to Ask Your Lymphedema Therapist, plus LANA is Important! View articles.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:43 PM

Question wrapping

Hi,

I have lymphedema in both of my legs. When I started therapy last year my therpist used cotton rolls in the beginning then switched to foam rolls. I am now done with the therpist and since then I've been using the foam and been buying the the foam rolls on the internet every 6 months or so. I went to a store this time and they had only the cotton rolls. They said no one ever asked for the foam ones. So it got me thinking what is the difference between the cotton ones and the foam? Which one is better to use and why?

Thanks, kathy
Old Mar 17, 2009, 04:57 AM
Lymph Notes Team

Hi Kathy,

We do not promote specific products on Lymph Notes; however the Bandages Plus website http://www.bandagesplus.com/ has the information you want.

They have a new online catalog and it explains the difference between cotton padding and foam padding. (Naturally, they also sell both kinds.)

Best wishes,

Old Mar 17, 2009, 06:35 PM

Hi,

I'm not asking where to get the foam nor cotton. I know where to get them on line. what I am asking is ( what is the difference between the foam rolls and the cotton rolls? Does one have more compression then the other and if so which one, because when I went to a med store in Flordia a sales person told me no one ever asked for the foam ones. Now I'm woundereding which one is better to use for compression.on the legs

Thanks,
kathy
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:51 AM

hi

when i started therapy for my legs my toes were like little sausages and my therapist used the cotton between my toes only and the foam for the legs i think foam is easier to roll up the leg and gives more stability than cotton i'm not an expert so check with your therapist to be sure ,isn't bandaging fun i have gotten so good at it it only takes me 10 minutes for both legs i never thought that would happen when i 1st started smiles to you
Old Mar 19, 2009, 07:24 PM

By cotton do you mean cotton rolls like artiflex? If yes, then I think the only difference between using artiflex rolls and foam rolls is preference. My therapists have told me that the only purpose for both of them is to prepare to the leg for short stretch bandages. They are not meant to provide any compression. It is bad to apply short stretch bandages directly to the skin because they tend to bunch up and cut off circulation. The foam rolls and cotton rolls can help keep short stretch bandages from bunching up. Theres really no difference between them but I prefer foam because it lasts longer.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 04:37 AM

I asked my therapist

This is an interesting discussion and so I asked my therapist. She explained that it comes down to two issues. (1) personal preference and (2) patient needs.

Apparently foam is better on fibrotic (hardened tissue) and around joints. Also as previous mentioned, foam works better for some patients in keeping the bandages in place. This is particularly true when wrapping a leg.

Rita

Last edited by RaftingRita; Mar 20, 2009 at 04:42 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 06:38 AM

foam

I know there must be some compression value for the foam because a few weeks ago my legs started plateauing and not going down. When my therapist looked at my foam it was all 'stretched out' and starting to come apart. Once we put new foam on it improved again, no more plateau! So while I suspect it doesn't offer major compression it must be doing something!
Old Feb 3, 2011, 04:12 PM

I was wondering the same thing myself. My therapist used cotton padding but the bandages left indentations in my leg. I have a new therapist and hopefully she will be able to see which one is better for me. Also, is the foam wasable and if so how is it washed? How do you know when it's time to replace your bandages and/or foam?