LymphNotes.com  

Go Back   Lymph Notes Forums > Lymphedema Information > Living With Lymphedema

Living With Lymphedema Acupuncture, Aromatherapy, Fatigue Happens, Reiki, Scuba Diving, Stress and Lymphedema, plus Travel Tips. View articles.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Sep 14, 2007, 12:03 PM

Inside throat swelling?

Hi I'm new to the board.

My Dad had a bilateral Neck Dissection back in March. He previously (2006) had chemo and radiaton to the neck and throat area. He is now cancer free!

The surgery removed all the nodes in the neck. He gets a bit of face and chin swelling on and off. He started MLD massages about 2 months ago with a professional MLD therapist. She showed us how to do them at home also. We really feel they help. It helps him sleep better too. MLD massage is great!

Sometimes his neck tightens up on him and he finds it hard to breath or swallow. Most of the time you can see face swelling and other times no noticable swelling at all. So my question is; can the inside swell without the outside swelling? And what can you do for this other then the massaging? It can be very scary.

Thanks
LisaB

Last edited by LisaB; Sep 14, 2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 07:12 AM

Hi, Lisa,

Hooray for your Dad's cancer-free status! Long battle, but a great win!

When fluid begins to accumulate in our tissues, up to 30 percent more fluid than normal can be present before any swelling is visible or measurable. So while I don't know if this is the cause of your Dad's distress, it's certainly possible for the "inside" swelling to be there without any swelling being noticable on the "outside."

Hope that helps some. If massage helps when he has that tightness, then that's a good indication that's the problem.

All best to you all,
Cassie
Old Sep 25, 2007, 05:50 PM

Hi Lisa!
So happy to hear your Dad is doing much better since receiving MLD treatments. Yes, the inside can swell, also. There are a number of face and mouth exercises that will benefit the inside and outside swelling, as well as intra-oral MLD that Vodder therapists are familiar with. (I don't know about the other schools training, only the Vodder school.) There might also be scar contractures causing trigger point referred symptoms that effect swallowing and movement, and many other possible symptoms.
Trigger point therapy might be very helpful with your Dad.
There are exercises that are similar to the face and mouth exercises that Speech Pathologists might use that help with the swelling, and some similar exercises that help with the trigger point symptoms.
Hope this is of some help to you, and that your Dad continues to improve!!
Blessings to you both!
Tina